Bangkok, Thailand – The organizing committee of the AI Space Challenge is delighted to inform you that the team registration for the AI Space Challenge is now open. We cordially invite undergraduate students at accredited universities in ASEAN countries and Taiwan to participate in this challenge. The winning team will be awarded the opportunity to execute the project in ICE Cubes AI Box onboard ISS.
The team registration can be done at aichallenge.space/registration. The registration period is open between October 1, 2021, and January 21, 2022, at 23:59 GMT+7. More information about registration is also available on the same page. You can also download the official rulebook, template for the proposal on our website.
Please prepare the information and documents for the registration process beforehand. After you registered for the challenge, we will review the eligibility of the team, subsequent to which the confirmation of participation will be sent to you email within 5 business days.
About the Challenge
The main objective of the challenge is to give students and universities from participating countries the opportunity to incorporate space into their STEM education curricula
The challenge will ask students to utilize the world’s smallest AI Supercomputer for Embedded and Edge Systems located directly on board the International Space Station (ISS), together with a number of different built-in sensors, allowing for collection, analysis and processing of various data gathered directly in a space environment by using self-created algorithms.
ICE Cubes “AI Box” is located on board the International Space Station. It is the world smallest AI Supercomputer for Embedded and Edge Systems in space. Designed to work with various sensors in order to collect, analyze and process data from the ISS environment.
- The AI Box system runs on NVIDIA Jetson Xavier with 472 Giga Flops computing performance with ARM x64 4 cores CPU and 120 cores Nvidia Maxwell GPU.
- The AI Box will be launched and being installed on the ICE Cubes platform on the International Space Station inside European’s Columbus module in December 2021. It will be launched on SpaceX CRS-24 mission to resupply the ISS.
- The AI Space Challenge winner will be the very first group of user to have an opportunity to operate, utilize the AI Box before further commercial, research uses.
Workshops and Accesses
The competition is open to everyone. You do not have to be the participant to join our workshops, access to our content. To help everyone understand the basic concept, application, possibility of utilizing AI Edge Computer in space, we are organizing a numbers of workshops between November – December 2021. You can find a workshop that suitable for you at AI Space Challenge workshops (Free)
The winners will get the opportunity to execute their project on the International Space Station and utilize the AI Box for their project for the duration of three months. They will also be awarded with technical support, consultations and mentoring provided by the Sponsors.
Organizers, Sponsors, and Partners
This competition organized by Space Applications Services, the first European commercial service to the International Space Station, Space Zab, provides testing facilities and services for researchers to conduct their space-related experiments both on-ground and beyond. Gran Systems, Taiwan space gateway for the International Space Station, and Zenith, Advanced satellite development, sensors, Internet of Things (IoT).
The event is sponsored by ST Engineering Geo-Insights Pte. Ltd, a joint venture company formed between DSO National Laboratories and ST Engineering Electronics. Leveraging on the strengths of its parent companies, Geo-Insights offer analytics, information products and value-added services based on satellite imagery to address global demand for timely insights.
- Team registration opens October 15, 2021
- Introductory webinar November 9, 2021
- Series of workshops between November – December
- AI Box launched on CRS-24 mission to the International Space Station Late December
- Proposal submission 15 February 2022 15 (23:59 GMT+7)
- Finalists announcement Mid-March 2022
- Final pitching event Mid-April 2022
- Winner announcement Mid-April 2022
If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].